Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

OnLive - Streaming to a Device Near You

Yeah, I know I’m a bit obsessive, but seriously, the cloud has invaded our lives more than we know. And OnLive gaming is proof of that. OnLive is like a not-so-powerful XBox, or PS3...or a more powerful Wii (Sorry couldn’t resist). It streams gameplay online, so that your piece of hardware doesn't do all of the computing. What does that mean for you and me? No more scratched discs, no more expensive hardware, and no more annoying game updates.

So, there is a disadvantage to this epic game system (if it even qualifies as a game system). The current library of games is...less than expected. There are a few major titles like Borderlands and Assassins Creed, but overall there are just so few games that grab my attention. But, the system is new, and it must be hard for a new system to earn rights to popular titles, so one can only hope better games get adopted as this becomes more mainstream. And at a price of $66 through Jan 9 ($99 normally), how could a person NOT try it out? Think about it, the new Dead Space, or a new game system? Which I might add, allows you to play the games on your computer as well....umm...Maybe Dead Space was a bad example.

Oh yeah, must I add, it is unofficially going to bring these games to the iPad. Kind of cool considering the iPads low processing capabilities. Check out the video below, and make sure to check out their website HERE. Oh yeah, and if you get it or have one let me know how it is! I just bought it, and will soon be posting a review!

3 comments:

  1. This technology is very cool, but I feel that it will be hard to sell to existing gamers who already have a gaming console. I would buy this if I was just getting into gaming, but since I already have a console and computer built for games, it doesn't really apply to me, and I feel that is how it will be for most hardcore gamers. This will really be epic if they do start to put a lot of games on there, but I doubt the big companies will allow it. Any idea what the subscription fee is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No subscription, it's 9.99 a month if u buy a game 'pack' which allows you to play a bunch of preselected games as much as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. who are you able to play with on this system?

    ReplyDelete